Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Flooding!!



Hello All. Just thought I'd post about the record breaking flooding we're dealing with here in NW Indiana. Reports are actually saying that we got more rain from Ike than parts of Texas did. It rained nonstop from 09/12 - 09/14. Hobart is divided by Lake George and also has many small rivers, creeks, drainage ditches etc. When it was all said and done every bridge in town was flooded over. This means there was only one road in and out of downtown and no way to get through town (you have to leave town and go around and back in). Most side roads are also dealing with flooding. We have two ways into our neighborhood and one of them is flooded and the other got very close. I couldn't get to work on Monday because all the ways I know of to get to my train station were flooded. We got about 1 ft of water in our basement (not too unexpected) but our big worry was the store. Our store is located on the lakefront of our town. The lake rose 15 ft over its banks and flooded over the bridge and onto the street. It eroded away part of the road on either side of the bridge and created large sinkholes. The city is now concerned that the entire bridge may collapse. However, we got very very lucky and the water appears to have stopped rising mere centimeters from our front and back doors (I'm not exaggerating...it was that close). I was allowed into the building Monday morning and there was no water damage however we haven't been able to get back in since then to check again. All utilities have been shut off to reduce the risk of electrical hazards or gas leaks. We won't be able to get back in until the water goes down and the power can come back on. Then we can assess everything and open back up. I've included a few pictures from our local paper. I have lots on my phone but can't get to them here. One picture is of the road in front of our store (note the bridge with the large sinkhole in the road). Our store is out of view on the left about where the truck is. The other picture is of the parking lot and lake front across the street from our store. The parking lot is about 10+ feet above the lake and usually there is a nice brick sidewalk by the lake with benches and lampposts...can't see any of that now. If you look closely between the two trees in the middle you can see the tops of some cars.

2 comments:

JennyD said...

O_o Whoa! That's a lot of water!!

I'm so that your store appears to not have been damaged. Wow.

I'd be glad if you sent over SOME of your rain. ;-) It's so dry here! We wouldn't want 1/5 of what you have though or else WE'd flood--the ground here takes so long to absorb water. LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you managed to escape the worst. It reminds me of River St.in Kankakee, Ill when the ice would melt.The st. would sometimes turn into a river. watch out for rats. they get washed out and find new dry homes. Larry